The National Defence Academy (NDA) exam is a prestigious examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) in India. It serves as a gateway for aspiring candidates to join the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force. If you have dreams of serving your country in a leadership role, the NDA exam is an excellent opportunity to kickstart your career in the defense forces. In this blog post, we will provide you with a detailed overview of the NDA exam, including its syllabus, exam pattern, eligibility criteria, and valuable preparation tips.
NDA 2023 Highlights
|Full Exam Name||National Defence Academy & Naval Academy Examination|
|Short Exam Name||NDA|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Frequency of Conduct||2 times a year|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Application Fee (General)||100 Rs [Online]|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Mode of Counselling||Offline|
|Nationality||1. A Citizen of India2. A subject of Nepal3. A subject of Bhutan4. A Tibetan refugee who moved to India, before January 1, 1962, with the intention of settling here permanently5. A person of Indian origin who has migrated from the below-specified countries, with the intention of permanently settling in India.PakistanBurmaSri LankaEast African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania (Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, EthiopiaVietnam|
|Age Limit||16.5 to 19.5 years for all categories, i.e. there is no age relaxation in the NDA exam|
|Educational qualification||For Indian Army – Passed Class 12 from State Education Board or a University
For Air Force and Naval – Passed 12th class with Physics and Mathematics from State Education Board or a University
|Gender||Male and Female|
|Height||For Army, Navy, and Naval Academy – 157 cm (minimum)For Air Force – 162.5 cm (minimum)|
NDA Paper 1 Syllabus
|– Matrices and Determinants|
|– Analytical Geometry|
|– Differential Calculus|
|– Integral Calculus and Differential Equations|
|– Vector Algebra|
|– Statistics and Probability|
|General Ability Test||– English: Vocabulary, Grammar, and Comprehension skills|
|– Physics: Mechanics, Heat, Optics, Electricity, Magnetism, Nuclear Physics|
|– Chemistry: Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry|
|– General Science: Biology|
|– History, Freedom Movement, etc.|
|– Geography: Physical Geography, Climate, Environmental Science|
|– Current Events: Current affairs, General Knowledge, etc.|
NDA Paper 2 Syllabus
syllabus for Paper 2 (General Ability Test) of the NDA exam:
|General Ability Test|
|Part A: English|
|– Grammar and Usage|
|– Spotting Errors|
|– Sentence Improvement|
|– Synonyms and Antonyms|
|– Para Jumbles|
|– Fill in the Blanks|
|– Idioms and Phrases|
|Part B: General Knowledge|
|– General Science|
|– Current Affairs|
|– Defense-related topics|
|– Awards and Honors|
|– Important Events|
NDA Exam Pattern
The NDA exam follows a two-stage selection process: a written examination and an interview conducted by the Services Selection Board (SSB). Here is the exam pattern for the written examination:
- Written Examination:
- Mathematics Paper: 300 Marks (2.5 hours)
- General Ability Test (GAT): 600 Marks (2.5 hours)
Note: The Mathematics paper is objective in nature, while the GAT paper includes both objective and descriptive questions.
Candidates who clear the written examination are called for the SSB interview, which includes a series of tests, interviews, and group discussions to assess the candidate’s aptitude, personality, and suitability for a career in the armed forces.
- Understand the Exam: Familiarize yourself with the exam pattern, syllabus, and marking scheme of the NDA exam to create a targeted study plan.
- Create a Study Schedule: Develop a well-structured study schedule that allocates sufficient time for each subject. Follow it consistently to cover the entire syllabus.
- Focus on Basics: Strengthen your foundation by mastering the fundamental concepts of Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, and General Knowledge.
- Practice Regularly: Solve previous years’ question papers and sample papers to get acquainted with the exam pattern and improve your time management skills.
- Mock Tests: Take regular mock tests to assess your progress and identify areas that require more attention. This will also help you get familiar with the actual exam environment.
- Revision is Key: Dedicate ample time for revision. Regularly review and revise the topics you have studied to reinforce your understanding and improve retention.
- Stay Updated: Stay updated with current affairs, especially in the areas of defense, sports, politics, and national and international events. Read newspapers and follow reliable news sources regularly.
- Improve English Skills: Enhance your English language skills by reading newspapers, magazines, and novels. Practice grammar, vocabulary, and comprehension regularly.
- Stay Healthy: Take care of your physical and mental health. Get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and eat a balanced diet to stay focused and energized during your preparation.
- Stay Positive and Confident: Maintain a positive mindset and believe in your abilities. Stay motivated and focused throughout your preparation journey.
Remember, consistent effort, dedication, and smart preparation strategies will increase your chances of success in the NDA exam. Good luck!
The NDA exam is a highly competitive examination that opens doors to prestigious careers in the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force. Aspirants need to meet the eligibility criteria and prepare well by covering the comprehensive syllabus of Mathematics and the General Ability Test. The exam pattern, consisting of a written examination and an SSB interview, evaluates candidates’ mental and physical abilities, ensuring that the best individuals are selected for the defense forces.
If you aspire to serve your nation in uniform and play a significant role in safeguarding the country’s interests, the NDA exam is an ideal platform to pursue your dreams. Good luck with your preparation!
Q: What is the NDA exam?
Q: What is the eligibility criteria for the NDA exam?
Q: What is the syllabus for the NDA exam?
Q: Is there any negative marking in the NDA exam?
Q: Can females apply for the NDA exam?
Q8: What is the selec